Food and Health Training
ECF provide and deliver accredited training courses and learning opportunities for staff and volunteers who work with food and health.
We can advise staff and volunteers working with food on a broad range of issues including:
- Cooking courses / classes
- Menu planning
- Food labelling / sugar / fat / salt
- Healthy eating on a budget
- Balanced healthy diet
- Weaning / fussy eating
- Healthy snacks and packed lunches
- Healthy heart
ECF is a certificated centre for REHIS (The Royal Environmental Health Institute for Scotland). Courses provided are:
- Introduction to Food Hygiene – for non-food handlers
- Elementary Food Hygiene – all food workers in the food industry
- Elementary Food and Health – to provide nutrition and health information to people working in a wide range of catering outlets. Provides up-to-date information that extends their knowledge and understanding of the relationship between food and health.
Eating for Health and Wellbeing: A Resource for Older People
Over recent months and years the Edinburgh Food and Health Training Hub has been researching and developing a training course for older people. The resource is designed for older people who live in their own homes. We are now running a course designed to teach trainers how to deliver the course to older people
The course is for:
- sheltered housing workers
- volunteers in older people group
- staff and volunteers running lunch clubs
- community centre workers
- food workers
- anyone working with older people
Aims for the course:
- Increase knowledge and confidence to deliver healthy eating messages to older people living in the community.
- Give the resources required to deliver a food and health session to groups of older people.
The course will cover the basic healthy eating messages important to older people, suggested activities to do with older people and information about what is in the information and recipe booklet. Each person who attends the course will be equipped with a pack to deliver a course to older people and booklets containing information and recipes to distribute. Support will also be provided by the Edinburgh Food and Health Training Hub. The course will show participants how to deliver a simple and effective 1.5 hour session to groups of older people living in the community. Participants will then be supported to deliver there session with the group/groups they work with.
All places on the course are free, all resources are free and all support is free. Please get in touch with Chris mantle [email protected] to find out when the next training session will be held.